Friday 2 March 2012

pumpkin pie

(originally posted nov 6, 2011)

it is my birthday today! i am 27! man oh man how time flies.

pumpkin pie has always been one of my favourite desserts, and i almost always ask for it instead of cake on my birthday! this year is no different, although by “ask for” i mean “make it myself” - matt ‘helped’, but frankly he’s much more interested in wrenching on the car than cooking, and that’s okay by me.
 


in the interest of staying away from cow’s milk, i have substituted coconut milk for evaporated and i couldn’t even taste the difference! and (of course) i have topped my pie with a generous helping of pecan halves (don’t judge me!!)

ingredients:

2 eggs
1 2/3 c canned pumpkin
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t salt
3/4 c evaporated milk or coconut milk
1 pie shell
1/2 to 3/4 c pecan halves (if you like)

to make:

mix eggs, brown sugar and pumpkin, then add spices, and finally milk. mix everything well.
pour into a pie shell
and top with pecans (if you like)
bake 425 for 15 mins, then turn the oven down to 350 for 30-35 min.
allow your pie to cool to room temperature!
dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment